Our History – 50 Years Strong

Roger Cox was raised in northwestern New Mexico and received a B.A. from the University of New Mexico in 1954 where he was an All Conference defensive end with the Lobo Football Team. As such, Roger was inducted into the Lobo Hall of Honor in 2009. After two years of service in the United States Army he returned to begin his teaching career and began selling residential real estate on a part time basis, and has been in business in New Mexico since 1956. His involvement in every phase of the real estate market on a local, regional, and national level for over forty-five years is noteworthy.

A HISTORY OF SUCCESS

Due to Roger Cox’s early successes conducting business part-time, the owners of Allied Realty convinced him to enter the real estate business full time. Not long afterward, they offered him a large percentage of the net profits of Allied Realty in return for reviving its ailing commercial real estate department. After accomplishing that goal, Roger put his energies into real estate development and syndication.

In 1965, he founded Roger Cox & Associates Inc., now one of the largest and most successful real estate companies in the state. Roger Cox & Associates Inc. now encompasses Roger Cox & Associates Real Estate Brokerage, LLC and Roger Cox & Associates Property Management, LLC. The companies specialize in commercial investment and brokerage, property management and development.

Roger Cox has served as past President of the Realtor’s Association of New Mexico. He is currently member of CARNM (Commercial Association of Realtors New Mexico, and AMBR (Albuquerque Metropolitan Board of Realtors. He was Vice President of Albuquerque Board of Realtors in 1966, just one year after forming his own company. He was the first realtor in New Mexico to attain the prestigious CCIM designation—the highest certification a commercial realtor can attain. Roger has also held the title of “Realtor of the Year” for both Albuquerque and for the State of New Mexico.

A LEADING DEVELOPER

Roger Cox has been involved in the management and development of a number of office projects in Albuquerque. Roger Cox & Associates Property Management, LLC held the management of two high-rise office buildings in the downtown area:
Sunwest Bank & Financial Center with a total of 164,000 square feet, and the First Interstate Bank Building, totaling 116,000 square feet. Roger represented the Academy for Boy’s Trust with Governor John Simms and Sunwest Bank as co-trustees in the leasing of the First Interstate Bank building.

Some of the other major transactions completed by Roger Cox include:

  • The sale of essentially all the land bounded by San Mateo, Tramway, Montgomery and San Antonio (in north Albuquerque Acres) – some of the most prime real estate in Albuquerque
  • Los Poblanos Subdivision in the exclusive North Valley
  • Las Colinas Development in Las Cruces, NM – over 1000 lots in Farmington and Las Cruces
  • La Jara Land Developers – over 2,400 acres developed in the Manzano Mountains
  • Roger Cox has been directly involved in numerous other development projects including:
  • Paa-Ko Communities, an award-winning 3,600-acre master-planned community in Albuquerque’s East Mountains
  • Citadel Apartments (designed by Antoine Predock)
  • A mid-rise office building in the far north sector of Albuquerque
  • The Osuna Corporate Centre on Osuna Road west of I-25
  • A 478-space mobile home park, High Mesa, on Albuquerque’s west side

He also developed and leased a facility for the GSA (General Services Administration) in 1989—fifteen days ahead of schedule—providing offices for the Forest Service and Animal Control. Roger also proposed, renovated and leased over 23,000 square feet to GSA in the old Sears building located in downtown Albuquerque. The initial renovation provided space for the MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station). A second renovation completed in December 1992, provided an additional 30,000+ square feet in the Sears building for the State of N.M. Public Defender Department.

Beginning in mid 1995, Roger Cox negotiated a major lease with The Bank of New Mexico, which included space presently under lease to Norwest Bank. That property was held in trust with Sunwest Bank of Albuquerque. The transaction involved a settlement with Norwest Bank on the leased space and was contingent also on the sale of the adjacent Norwest drive-up facility to The Bank of New Mexico. The total space leased in the main building was 32,242 square feet. The lease and sale were concluded in the spring of 1996. The transaction was unique in that three major banks in Albuquerque had to reach an agreement, which required Roger’s skill and expertise.